Charleston County Parks offering water activities for all ages, alongside other agencies
[CHARLESTON]— The Charleston County Park and Recreation Commission is proud to offer a variety of water-related activities throughout the upcoming Charleston Watersports Week. Founded by the Charleston Area Sports Commission, the inaugural Charleston Watersports Week will be held at various Lowcountry sites September 5 through 14. The event series consist of over 20 water-based activities that are competitive, recreational, instructional and leisure-focused.
Charleston Watersports Week was created to use the area’s natural environment in promoting one of the best assets for sports travel events, waterways and ocean fronts. The initiative includes a unique combination of venues, accommodations, restaurants, attractions and tour companies spread out over the entire Charleston region. Programming ranges from stand up paddleboarding competitions to sunset excursions for groups.
During this area-wide week of activities, Charleston County Park and Recreation Commission (CCPRC) will offer a variety of water-related recreational and social activities, ranging from competitions to paddling and fitness programs to Shaggin’ on the Cooper. The park agency’s water activities for the week include:
• Sept. 6: Cooper River Challenge Fishing Tournament at the Mount Pleasant Pier, Stand Up Paddleboard Trips at James Island County Park, Sea Kayak Classes at James Island County Park
• Sept. 7: Dog Day Afternoon at Whirlin’ Waters Adventure Waterpark
• Sept. 8 & 9: Stand Up Paddleboard Fitness at James Island County Park
• Sept. 8, 9, 10 & 11: Yoga Unplugged at James Island County Park
• Sept. 8: Youth Paddlesports team at James Island County Park
• Sept. 9: Youth Stand Up Paddleboarding at Palmetto Islands County Park
• Sept. 10: Youth Stand Up Paddleboarding at James Island County Park
• Sept. 13: Shaggin’ on the Cooper with the Ocean Drive Party Band at the Mount Pleasant Pier
• Sept. 18: Stand Up Paddleboard One Design Race Series at James Island County Park
The Lowcountry’s residents and visitors are invited to join in on these great family-friendly activities as part of Charleston Watersports Week! For more information on additional activities, visit www.watersportsweek.com.
The Charleston Area Sports Commission’s primary goal in introducing the festival is to provide an active getaway vacation option for watersports’ enthusiasts and athletes, just after the peak tourism season. A full list of activities from all participating agencies, updated daily, is available at www.watersportsweek.com.