Junior Counselor Leadership
Application opens February 1.
The Junior Counselor Leadership Program is looking for dedicated teens ages of 13-16 to assist with our Explorers Camp for the upcoming summer. Accepted applicants receive a wonderful opportunity for personal growth and learning while having a positive impact on local kids. Spend your days assisting in camp activities like crabbing, nature discovery, canoeing, arts & crafts, and games. Junior Counselors are mentored by staff to aid in development of leadership qualities such as public speaking, confidence, organization and more. Camp locations are James Island, Mount Pleasant Palmetto Islands, and North Charleston Wannamaker County Parks.
Junior Counselors are not solely responsible for supervising the campers. They will assist the Explorers Camp staff with various activities and duties of the daily camp schedule. Junior Counselors are supervised by the Explorers Counselors, Head Counselor, and Assistant Camp Director.
- Gain experience for future employment and/or school references.
- Experience a behind-the-scenes look at being a Camp Counselor.
- Get exposure to leadership development topics such as goal setting, communication, and decision-making.
- Attend all phases of training
- Meet new ideas with an open mind, accept constructive feedback, and make positive changes
- Show a willingness to have a positive attitude at all times and adapt to change
- Accept and follow all CCPRC policies and Camp regulations
- Be respectful and responsible for all CCPRC property and equipment
- Assist in the creation and maintenance of a physically and emotionally safe environment for all participants
- Follow the set schedule for service, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- Participate fully in weekly meetings for the Junior Counselor Leadership Program
- Assist with preparation, execution, and clean-up of camp programs and activities as assigned, such as lunch time, cookout, canoeing, crabbing, arts & crafts, biking, etc.
- Attend all scheduled sessions and participate in all camp activities unless excused by prior arrangement
- Youth ages of 13-16 who are energetic, motivated, and excited to work with young children
- Available for two consecutive weeks during the summer
- Apply online starting February 1.
- Deadline for applications is April 12. Early application deadline is March 8.
- Positions are not guaranteed until confirmed by the Camp Director or Assistant Director for Explorers Camp
Contact Park & Program Services at 843-795-4386 or by email.
Park fees, operating schedules, and hours are subject to change without notice.