May 4, 2019
You will choose a morning or afternoon time slot during registration.
Folly Beach County Park
1100 W Ashley Ave.
Folly Beach, SC 29439
Preregistration is required and will close at 2 p.m. the day prior to the event. On-site registration will not be available.
Wheel to Surf Adaptive Surfing
Saturday, May 4, 2019
This unique event provides individuals with disabilities an opportunity to experience surfing! Adaptive surfing staff from partner organizations Ocean Cure, Adaptive Surf Project, Adaptive Expeditions, and Coastal Adaptive Sports will provide instruction and assistance in a controlled environment.
Ages 4 & up. A chaperone is required for youth ages 15 and under.
To provide a safe and fun experience for all participants, those signing up for the surfing program must adhere to the following guidelines. These guidelines have been adapted from the American Canoe Association. Participants must be able to:
- Breathe independently (i.e., not require medical devices to sustain breathing)
- Independently maintain sealed airway passages while under water
- Independently hold head upright without neck / head support
- Manage personal care independently or with assistance of a companion
- Manage personal mobility independently or with a reasonable amount of assistance
- Follow instructions and effectively communicate independently or with assistance of a companion
- Independently turn from face-down to face-up and remain floating face up while wearing a properly fitted life jacket
- Maintain a safe body position while attempting skills, and have the ability to recognize and identify to others when such efforts would be unsafe given your personal situation
- Participants must not have any unprotected wounds. Open wounds must be appropriately covered and protected. We reserve the right to deny participation to anyone that does not meet these requirements on the day of the event, due to safety concerns.
We reserve the right to use photos or videos taken of visitors while they are at Charleston County Park & Recreation Commission facilities or events for publicity purposes. Please lock your vehicle, and remove valuables from view. CCPRC is not responsible for any lost, damaged, or stolen property. Park fees, operating schedules, and hours are subject to change without notice.