Available Internship Opportunities
An intern for the Parks Division will experience all the aspects of running, managing and maintaining a large scale revenue generating operation in a park and recreation setting. The intern will effectively serve as a working supervisor at their respective parks/facilities. They will be involved in park-wide and division-wide discussions, gain experience in a variety of issues, take part in the decision making process and be expected to voice questions and provide input. The selected candidate will interact with customers, handle suggestions, solve problems and work with staff to ensure a unique experience for our customers.
The selected intern will rotate throughout the parks and facilities within the Parks Division in order to gain a thorough understanding of the complexity and variety of CCPRC. Our facilities include three waterparks, four regional dayparks, three beach parks, campground and cottages, two fishing piers, a marina, an equestrian center, and interpretive center, 19 boat landings, multiple wedding/event venues, and 12 undeveloped properties. The student will gain experience in all aspects of management to include facility operations and maintenance, staff supervision, personnel matters, budgeting concepts and procedures, customer service, capital projects, special events, etc.
Students majoring in Parks and Recreation, Tourism, Management, Business, Public Administration and/or any people oriented field will benefit from this program.
The Marketing Intern will observe and contribute to the following marketing assignments:
- Conduct photo shoots of various parks and events throughout internship
- Conduct market research and development of annual Marketing Plan
- Develop a publicity plan for a TBD topic and work with the PIC in its execution
- Work with marketing team on developing a PR campaign
- Support public relations duties by writing press releases, blogs, scripts and articles
- Assist with T.V./radio interview preparation with potential to contribute to conducting an interview
- Research and write talking points
- Track media coverage on a weekly basis
- Seek out new media and publicity opportunities not currently being pursued
- Act as a backup/support for media inquiries, fact checking, and fulfilling other media needs
- Manage online event listings during course of internship
- Seek out newsworthy stories within the agency and assist in story pitching
- Assist with engagement of potential new partnership opportunities and fulfillment of current partnership agreements
- Contribute to social media content
Majors in these areas would thrive in this opportunity: Public Relations, Marketing, Communications, Journalism, or English
Health & Wellness Intern
The Health and Wellness Intern will work with the Race, Event, and Program Coordinator to support and evaluate, races, events, and programs. The selected candidate will play a role in future race, event, and programs by researching health & wellness trends. Upon completion of the research, the intern will evaluate community need, interest, and the logistics and feasibility of implementing these health and wellness trends within the parameters of Charleston County Parks and Recreation Division.
The selected candidate will gain an overall view of the park system, interact with customers, and assist with health and wellness race, event, and program promotion.
Parks, Recreation, and Tourism, Sports Marketing, Public Health, Exercise Science, Kinesiology, Physical Education will thrive in this opportunity.