- About Us
- Charleston County Parks Foundation
- Our Work
- Park & Recreation Opportunity Fund
Park & Recreation Opportunity Fund
The Park & Recreation Opportunity Fund provides opportunities for those who encounter financial barriers to accessing parks, programs, and services.
Key Focus Areas
- Summer Camps - Through contributions to the Park & Recreation Opportunity Fund, Charleston County Parks Foundation offers scholarships for our Summer Camp programming, giving those in need the opportunity to explore, achieve and grow through participation in fun activities, events, field trips and social experiences.
- Wheel to Surf - Contributions to the Park & Recreation Opportunity Fund allow us to host our annual Wheel to Surf Adaptive Surfing program, which allows individuals with disabilities the unique opportunity to experience surfing.
- Special Olympics Kayaking - Donations made to the Park & Recreation Opportunity Fund support our Special Olympics Kayaking program, which provides an eight-week training program for children with special needs to compete in the Special Olympics.
- Title I School Education Program - The Charleston County Parks Foundation provides support to offset the expense associated with participating in a Charleston County Park educational field trip for Charleston County Title I schools.
- Leadership Environment Adventure Program (LEAP) - Donations to the Park & Recreation Opportunity Fund also support the LEAP program, which consists of sessions focused on environmental stewardship, adventure sports and leadership for youth. LEAP is primarily delivered to youth from Title I schools, and the sessions are often scheduled in underrepresented areas of Charleston County.
"We know kids love to play outside and our camps give kids an opportunity to be challenged, learn more about our environment and how to play safe. This should be true for any kid, regardless of socioeconomics. Thanks to Charleston County Park Foundation for making camps possible for kids during the summer."
- Ande Oliver, Outdoor Recreation Coordinator, Charleston County Park & Recreation Commission
"It was amazing! The educators were great and created an engaging space for our students to learn. Some of them were in nature for the first time!"
- Teacher, Burke High School, Title 1 School Education Program assistance recipient